The Musings of a(n) (adjective required) Mind

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Mr. Engineering

They had the 2nd Annual Mr. Engineering pageant at school tonight. And I won third place out of 11! That was fun! The Society of Women Engineers put it on. There were 5 parts to it. The first was the Nerd Wear competition. This, I did pretty well in, I suppose. I went to the Salvation Army in town (Those places are great) to get clothes for this part. John and I found a green T-shirt with goofy on it two sizes too small, a bright yellow hawaiian shirt with pineapples on it, and a pair of brown pants that were actually my size, but were very stretchy. I took these, pulled the pants up to about 6 inches above my belly button, put on a huge belt buckle, the green T-shirt, and the hawaiian shirt, only tucked in on one side and unbuttoned. It looked pretty geeky. (also, all of the competitors corraborated so that we all had our zippers down with our shirts sticking through. That was pretty funny as well) Then I took an old pair of glasses and covered them in masking tape, manufactured a pocket protector out of cardstock, and wore my backpack with all of the pockets unzipped, books, paper, and computer wiring hanging out. They were calling each of our names, and we would walk across the stage and back the other way. I had a big armload of books and papers, and as I stumbled out, muttering numbers, I 'tripped' over the top stair leading to the stage and 'dropped' my armload of homework all over the stage. Then, gotta pick it all up and run away, because a -gasp- girl is talking to me and trying to help me pick it up!

Anyway, that was fun. THe engineering trivia was also fun. We were asked simple questions and given a, b, or c choices. Then we messed around, trying to create a good show for the audience, primarily, without caring about right or wrong.

For the talent portion, I did something called meteors, which is two small buckets on a rope, the buckets are filled with water, and then you spin the ropes and buckets around, keeping the water in the buckets. That was fun. A friend taught me how to do that a month ago specifically for this purpose. I'm going to post a video on youtube for you to see - its hard to explain.

Salvation Army is great. Where else could you pick up a pretty decent business suit for a Business wear competition for under $10? A couple of people were surprised that it came from Salvo, so I guess I looked pretty good.

Well, After all of the above, I ended up receiving third place. First place went to a friend who did some amazing juggling for his talent - he deserved first. The second place went to a guy who played the piano really well, so he probably also deserved second. Praise the Lord - I didn't know I had so many friends who would vote for me! I ended up winning some free mcDonalds food, a free video rental, and 15 dollar gift card to a restaurant.

Two videos are going to be posted on youtube -
Nerd Wear Clip




Meteor talent Clip

1 Comments:

  • Yup, that was me and the meteors. A friend here taught me a month ago. He was looking for someone to teach, and I was thinking of a talent for the show. It just worked out.

    By Blogger Jeremy Turpin, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home